The City of Thompson
THOMPSON is a growing, dynamic city in the heart of Canada’s northern wilderness. It began in the late 1950s when a major nickel ore body was discovered and a model mining community was planned from the ground up.
Today Vale’s mine operation is one of the world’s largest integrated nickel mine complexes in the world and produces over a million pounds of pure nickel a year. Over the years Thompson has diversified in other industry sectors — a service and transportation hub for the North, a health and education centre, wilderness adventure tourism, winter weather testing, Aboriginal agencies and services, and government administration. Outlying communities use Thompson as their primary service and administrative centre. Today the population of Thompson is over 15,000 and serves a regional market of 60,000. The future bodes well as major hydro dam development take place in the North over the next 10 to 15 years, and transportation corridors improve to the Arctic.
THOMPSON acts as the downtown for the North for shopping, distribution, services, and health care.
Thompson is a prosperous city with one of the highest per capita incomes in Canada. Residents enjoy a summer and winter playground with pristine lakes and rivers, clean air, unlimited terrain, and all the amenities of a modern city with wilderness surroundings.
Enjoy the Spirit Way Points of Interest and all that Thompson has to off er including its friendly Northern hospitality.
WINTER offers a stunning beauty of its own with many fun activities indoors and out.
- Thompson has one of the highest per capita incomes in Canada.
- Thompson is the “Hub of the North”.
- Thompson Airport has over 35,000 take-off s and landings per year.
- Cree and Ojibway peoples have lived in this area for 1000’s of years.
- Thompson is the 3rd largest city in Manitoba.
- Thompson is the Winter Testing Capital of North America.
- Over 100 volunteer organizations exist in Thompson.
- Golfers can tee off until 9 pm on long summer evenings.
- Mystery Mt. Winter Park offers five winter sports.
- 99.9% of North America lives south of Thompson.